Sunday, January 25, 2015

Roz's Cheese Soup

I must admit, I have a favorite cookbook. It's one that my extended family (great-grandparents and down) put together when I was just a little girl. I used my mom's copy when I was a kid, and was given my OWN copy when I got married. I've only been married 8 years, but this cookbook is ratty and tattered from overuse. (Especially the chocolate cake page, but that's a recipe for another day.)

Anyhow, I found this recipe for cheese soup in this old family cookbook. I knew it would be good, because 1) It's in the family cookbook, and 2) It was submitted by Roz who made EVERYTHING yummy. So I made it. Easy, delicious, and quick. Win Win Win!!! I've since added a few more veggies (hello, have you met me?) and we eat it at least once a month.

Cheese Soup
1/2 c (one stick) real butter
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 1/2 to 2 c carrots, diced
1 c celery, cut thinly
1 c Bisquick
4 cans (about 5 cups) chicken broth
2 c milk or cream
2 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Optional: fresh or frozen broccoli, cauliflower, peas, or other yummy veggies

Saute the onion, carrots, and celery over medium heat in the butter until the carrots are the texture you prefer (I like soft). Stir in the Bisquick. Add the chicken broth. Cook, stirring frequently until the soup thickens. (This is when I add my other veggies as well, so they cook in the broth.) Turn off heat, and add milk/cream. Stir in cheese until melted.

Then, eat.

Depending on how many veggies you add, this makes about 8 REAL people servings. If your family is made up of light eaters, it's probably closer to 12 servings. The whole process seriously takes half an hour (unless you quadruple it). Now, I realize Bisquick is processed, but I haven't experimented to make this "real" food, yet. I'm betting someone could use whole wheat flour in place of the bisquick, cook it for a few minutes, and have the same result. If you try it, let me know if you are successful!!!

This is a nice, thick soup, great for serving in breadbowls, or regular soup bowls. Paired with a salad and some bread, this makes a great meal!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!