Saturday, January 3, 2015

Bountiful Baskets 1/3 and Weekly Meal Plan

I got a bountiful basket today for the first time in over a year. I am very excited for the ;produce haul we got. (I actually get 2... we eat lots of produce) And many thanks to the volunteers at the site, who held our basket for a few extra minutes, since the alarm didn't wake Joe up, and the baby (actually) slept past 7 a.m.

Veggies: Lettuce, Rainbow chard, Spaghetti squash, Red potatoes, Broccoli, and Orange bell peppers
Fruit: Blueberries, Oranges, Grapefruit, Strawberries, and Pineapple

The only thing in  here I don't like/won't eat is the grapefruit. Not too bad!

So here's the weekly plan,

Saturday:

  • Breakfast: Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins (just use whole wheat flour in the traditional recipe), sliced peppers, Orange slices, string cheese, yogurt
  • Lunch: Pita pizza. Take pita bread, spread with sauce (tomato paste with one can water mixed in), shredded cheese, and toppings. the orange peppers will definitely be used here
  • Dinner: leftovers/finger food... hubby has to work, and the kids love cheese, crackers, fruit, and cut up veggies. 
Sunday: 
  • Breakfast: Waffles with strawberries. Church doesn't start until 11, and I can't fast when I am nursing. Anyone who does fast can have their waffles after church or on Monday. 
  • Dinner: At my mom's house. Dad is cooking a roast. I am taking spaghetti squash (and if the youngest minion will allow it, homemade bread.)
Monday: 
  • Breakfast: cold cereal (Let's face it, Monday's are hard enough without adding elaborate breakfasts!)
  • Lunch: Ham and Potato Chowder http://slowjoelikestoeat.blogspot.com/2014/12/ham-potato-and-corn-chowder.html
  • Dinner: Leftovers 
Tuesday: 
  • Breakfast: Omelets with ham, peppers, and cheese (and toast)
  • Lunch: box mac and cheese. (My son and husband love this. I think it's nasty)
  • Dinner: Finger Food
Wednesday: 
  • Breakfast: leftover waffles
  • Lunch: Grilled Cheese (my son's favorite,,, I add peppers and lettuce to mine, and it is delish)
  • Dinner: Grilled meat (pork chops, steak, chicken, whatever is on sale today), roasted potatoes (http://slowjoelikestoeat.blogspot.com/2015/01/roasted-potatoes.html), and swiss chard with orange (http://www.marthastewart.com/334381/sauteed-swiss-chard-with-orange)
Thursday:
  • Breakfast: Oatmeal or leftover muffins (hopefully there are some leftover muffins if I freeze them right now!)
  • Lunch: Quesadillas/wraps (Again, I load mine with veggies)
  • Dinner: Spaghetti (or Spaghetti Squash) with meat sauce, broccoli, and pineapple
Friday: 
  • Breakfast: cold cereal (my children's favorite!) 
  • Lunch: Finger food (use up all the leftover fruits and veggies.)
  • Dinner: Crockpot BBQ chicken, Spaghetti Squash, and some kind of starch (potatoes if there are any left, or pitas, or biscuits)
Also, I add salad to many meals. 

Lunches for the first-grader:
  • Muffins, String Cheese, Orange Rounds, Sliced peppers
  • Sunbutter and Jam on pita, carrots, apple slices
  • Crackers, sliced cheese, lunchmeat, peppers, oranges
  • Grilled ham and cheese (cold), apples, craisins, carrots
  • Quesadilla (cold), strawberries or pineapple, carrots or peppers

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!