Sunday, January 11, 2015

German Pancakes (Joe style)

Joe's friends gave him this recipe when he was single. It is a yummy breakfast that isn't too fussy. The first time I had it, I was a little surprised that it wasn't cakey, but it is still delicious. Joe loves the custardy middle part, while the kids and I enjoy the puffy edges. The bonus is that if it is easy enough for a bachelor to make, it is easy enough for a sleep-deprived daddy to make (and he did!) Of course, I whipped the cream, so I can say I helped, right? 

This recipe is not in our regular rotation, but we eat it often enough that I HAVE made it with whole wheat flour and it turns out just as yummy, although not quite as fluffy. The kids and I don't mind, and Joe doesn't usually complain about what I cook. 

German Pancake with Strawberries and Whipped Cream
German Pancake: 
Preheat oven to 425-450 
Put a big old hunk (1-2 Tbs) of butter in the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan
Place pan in oven to melt butter

6 eggs--beat the snot out of them
Add:
1 c flour
1 c milk
1 tsp salt 
Beat gently just until the flour is mixed in

Pour butter into (hot) buttered pan
Back 13-15 minutes until done (browned) but not burnt

Serve with favorite toppings
I  like fruit and whipped cream
Joe likes butter and real maple syrup 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!