Sunday, March 1, 2015

Mexican Chicken and Quinoa Skillet Meal

My first grade daughter has a very, very best friend. Both girls are allergic to nuts, so they have to (or get to) sit together at the nut-free lunch table. They love it. Best friend is the daughter of a total foodie, and always has the best lunches. My daughter kept coming home and telling me about quinoa. I cooked quinoa once before, and it was a complete flop. However, my spirited daughter helped me realize that I needed to try again. Because the first attempt was so dismal, I knew I needed to find a really good recipe if we were going to like quinoa.

I actually found a recipe on pinterest that looked yummy. However, I was missing some of the ingredients and other ingredients were among those that my family just won't eat. (My kids aren't even that picky, and still I am constantly changing ingredients out so they or Joe or I will eat the food!)

After modifying, this was really yummy. Kids both ate it, my parents both ate it, I had two servings. I ate all the leftovers. Poor Joe wasn't home and didn't get a bite. I'm not sure if he is upset or grateful about that. Either way, the rest of us really liked it and I will make it again. My kids really liked that they could "dip" their tortilla chips into it, and we did put cheese on the top. (Our family motto may or may not be "Cheese is For Heroes")


Anyway, here is the recipe as adapted by me:
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 onion, minced
1 large red pepper, diced
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1 cup quinoa
1 cup chicken broth
2 cups cooked shredded chicken
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can rotel
1 can corn, drained
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
Salt/pepper to taste
2 tsp lemon juice
3 c fresh spinach

1. Saute the onion, pepper, and garlic in oil until onions are soft
2. stir in quinoa, chicken broth, chicken, beans, Rotel, corn, chili powder, and cumin. Bring the mixture to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes, or until quinoa is done.
3. Stir in salt and pepper, lemon juice, and spinach. Spinach will need about 2 minutes to wilt.
4. Serve with cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips.
5. Devour.

If you wanted this spicier, you could add hot peppers to the original saute. My family has tender tongues.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!