Thursday, March 12, 2015

Pigs in a Waterbed

My kids used to really like Pigs in a Blanket. You know, those silly little things where you wrap a hot dog in a biscuit, and then bake it. I no longer buy hot dogs. Or pre-made biscuits. (Joe might.) But, back in the day, Joe started calling this dish Pigs in a Waterbed. Pigs for the kielbasa, and Waterbed... I'm not entirely sure. I never had a waterbed, and honestly never want one.

I got this recipe from my mom. I make it when we get cabbage from bountiful baskets. My son is not a veggie-lover. He likes some, and loves fruit, but veggies... they're on his "I'll eat it if mom makes me" list. So yesterday, when I was grabbing cabbage, and asked him what it was, I got a very sad "lettuce." When I told him it was cabbage, he shockingly changed his tune. "I like cabbage!" he announced.

At dinner, my older daughter, and my son each had two helpings. Both ate the cabbage and sweet potatoes. Both asked for extra pigs. It was awesome. Maybe if I starve my kids more often, they will eat well every night. (aka no more afternoon snacks?)


I did not make this recipe up. The original is pretty close to this one. I used 4 sweet potatoes instead of two, and a whole (small) head of cabbage. I also add a little more water/broth, since once I didn't and MAN does burnt cabbage and sweet potato STINK!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!