Sunday, March 22, 2015

Garlic Breadsticks

I am normally a huge rule-follower. I have been since I was VERY young. If there is a rule, I will probably follow it, and attempt to make you follow it. (Do you think this is why I am a teacher?) One of my "rules" for adult life is to use whole wheat whenever possible. However, sometimes there is a time to break the "Rules". These breadsticks are one of those times. They are chewy, fluffy, the perfect amount of crusty, browned, and altogether delicious. They kind of make your mouth sing, especially when dipped into soup. If you've ever been to The Pizza Factory, these breadsticks remind me of theirs, except there is no stick in mine. 

I guess if you wanted to, you could put some whole wheat flour in here. I might try it next time, myself, but, honestly, you wouldn't have nearly the fluffy chewiness that made these awesome! 

And speaking of awesomeness, I did NOT get a picture of them fresh. Yeah, I kind of forgot to be awesome. Or the breadsticks were the level of awesome that they got eaten before I took a picture. Yeah, we'll go with that. 

As far as mixing and kneading these puffy clouds of awesome, my Heavy-Duty (old) Kitchen Aid worked perfectly. If I doubled it, I would have to use my Bosch. It makes a very soft, pliable dough.


Anyway, make these. Soon. Your taste buds will thank you. 

Garlic and Herb Breadsticks
3 c warm water
2 Tbsp yeast
1/4 c sugar
7 c flour
2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
1 Tbsp granulated garlic
Butter

Sprinkle yeast and sugar on warm water. Let sit until bubbly and foamy. (This is the kids' favorite part, they love watching the yeast "burp")

Add flour 1 cup at a time, mixing well each addition. Add salt, Italian seasoning, and garlic. Knead 5 minutes, until dough is shiny and clearing the bowl well. 

Let dough rise in bowl until it reaches the top. About 20 minutes. 

Split dough into approximate fourths. Roll one fourth at a time into a large rectangle (approximately 10 by 13 inches.) Cut strips the long way with a pizza cutter (I cut 8 strips each time). Fold each strip, then with the ends in one hand and the middle folded part in the other, twisty up your breadstick. Place on a greased cookie sheet. Repeat for each breadstick, then repeat for the other 3/4 of the dough. Let the sticks rise about 20 minutes. 

Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until lightly browned. Brush tops with butter immediately. Devour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!