Tuesday, January 20, 2015

baked macaroni and cheese

I have a great recipe for mac and cheese that a friend gave me at my bridal shower many moons ago. It is simple, and uses every new cook's favorite ingredient: cream of chicken soup.

Now, I still use cream of soup in a few things, but yesterday, I also forgot to buy brick cheese, which my recipe called for... And so I began to improvise.

I started by boiling water and cooking a box of penne whole wheat pasta.

While that was happening, I made Emily's cheese sauce. (http://thatswhatieat.com/easy-peasy-cheese-sauce/). I used whole wheat flour, and preshredded cheese.

When the pasta and the sauce were finished, I mixed them, dumped them in a 9x13" casserole, topped with more shredded cheese and some breadcrumbs, and baked at 350 for about 15 minutes.

Served with steamed broccoli and salad, this made a great weeknight meal. My sister (a connoisseur of mac n cheese) likes this better than the original recipe. It takes just a little longer to make the cheese sauce, but it is DELICIOUS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!