Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Whole Wheat Greek Yogurt Waffles

Sometimes you need a new waffle recipe. And by sometimes, I mean, pretty much every time I make waffles, I try something new. I'm crazy like that. (And crazy in lots of other ways, too!)

Anyway, this recipe is PERFECT for summer--it's low-calorie (hello, swimsuit season!) and fluffy. With strawberries and some whipped cream, it's reminiscent of strawberry shortcake--for breakfast. And while you don't have to make these whole wheat, I do! It's still yummy, I promise.

I started with the recipe from http://www.lecremedelacrumb.com/greek-yogurt-waffles/ and modified it just a titch. You really will want to add some oil or grease to your waffle maker--these don't have any oil or added fat.

Ingredients (makes 10 round, Belgian waffles)
  • 2 eggs, separated
  • 1¾ cup milk
  • ½ cup plain greek yogurt (I used 0% fat)
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 cups whole wheat
  • 2 tablespoons baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Instructions
  1. Preheat your waffle maker. In a medium bowl whisk together eggs yolks, milk, greek yogurt, sugar, and vanilla.
  2. Add flour, baking powder, and salt and mix until all ingredients are combined. (Most of the lumps should be gone but it doesn't need to be perfectly smooth).
  3. Beat up the egg whites until they are stiff peaks. (I use the whisk attachment for my hand blender.) Gently fold eggs into the batter. 
  4. Grease the waffle maker and cook waffles according to manufacturer's instructions. Serve with butter, syrup, fresh berries, whipped cream, or powdered sugar as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!